Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Classical Education

Yesterday I started reading a book called "The Well-Educated Mind: A Guide to the Classical Education You Never Had."  Through the advice offered in this book I hope to be able to better understand the classics and the great conversation of culture that we have been born into.

According to the author there are three aspects to a classical education.  They are first grammatical, second logical, and third rhetorical.  The general idea being that a classical education follows these three steps: first teaching a child to read and understand written language, second to evaluate the logical assumptions behind the written word, and finally to articulate either through writing or speech an opinion on the subject.

This larger educational framework is also applicable, the book states, to the studying of a single work by an author.  First a general reading of the work is required, second an evaluation of the ideas being presented, and thirdly the formation of an opinion generally expressed through writing.

The utilization of the larger framework upon single works is greatly facilitated by the keeping of a journal.  This journal encompasses three general types of writing: a summary of the work at hand, any quotes or snippets of interest, and a commentary upon it.

The object of a classical education is not to simply read an authors work once, put it back on the shelf, and forget about it.  Rather it is the engaging of ideas and the wrestling with concepts often beyond our human abilities of reason and understanding.

I am going to give this framework a try.  Some of the essays that I will write on the different books that I read will undoubtedly find their way onto this blog in some way or another.  I am starting with Don Quixote today.

Yours in Christ,

Reader Nicholas

3 comments:

  1. I'm currently using this book for school. We have used "The Well-Trained Mind" as our curriculum from the very beginning, and now that I'm in high school, my great books program ties in with "The Well-Educated Mind". It's a great book! By the way, good luck with "Don Quixote"! I read it earlier this year (but I found it exceptionally boring *yawns*).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don Quixote is not what I expected it to be, but it is amusing in its own way.

      At this point I am not sure whether they are giving out as much punishment as they are taking. It seems that for every adventure they get into, they end up getting thrashed within an inch of their lives!

      I will be posting a brief summary of the first part soon.

      Delete
    2. There are some funny parts sprinkled among the boring diologue. And of course, Sancho is usually hilarious.

      Yes; I agree!

      Great! I'll read it as soon as you post it.

      Delete